Monastery Tvrdoš is located on the right bank of Trebišnjica river, 5 km to the west of Trebinje. It was built on the foundations of a church from 4th century and it is one the oldest cultural-historical monuments in Republic of Srpska. During 16th and 17th century Tvrdoš was the seat of Hum-Herzegovina – Trebinje episcopacy. During the Turkish-Venetian war the monastery was destroyed, and some relics were moved to monastery Savina (Herceg Novi) and monastery Duži. In 1992 the hand of queen Helen de Anjou, mother of kings Milutin and Dragutin, was moved from Duži to Tvrdoš.
The monastery is also famous for the fact that Vasilije of Ostrog was tonsured in it, becoming a priest. After that, he spent some time serving as a parson of Popovo polje. That is the reason he is called ‘Of Ostrog and Tvrdoš’.
Rebirth of the monastery started in 1955 when the whole complex was renovated. Special characteristic of today’s church is its glass floor, which in a way offers a ‘window to past’, because foundations of the church from 4th century can be seen through it.
Long tradition of wine making which dates back to 15th century has been successfully preserver to this day, thanks to new vineyards, wine cellar and modern winery.