This church is located on the top of Elijah’s hill in the village of Mesari, north of the road Trebinje-Mostar, 20 km from Trebinje on the edge of Popovo polje. It has three semi-rounded apses, which were reconstructed several times, most recently in 1897 according to the inscription on the supporting beam. This church has a pre-Roman style, so it is considered to be the first church built between 9th and 11th century. It is one of the oldest buildings in Herzegovina. Church of St. Elijah, together with ancient tomb tumulus and necropolis with ‘stećak’ tombstones in Mesari, it was listed as a national monument of Bosnia and Herzegovina in 2008.